The Complete Guide to Training & Certifications for Senior Market Insurance Agents

While this complete guide won’t be that long, it will explain everything you need to know about certifications and licenses for senior market insurance agents, including our experiences and recommendations.

If you’re just getting into the Medicare market, you’ll first need to get your professional insurance license.

To begin, we recommend getting in touch with your state’s Department of Insurance (DOI). There, you’ll find out where you should go to take your pre-licensing training course. Fair warning: some state’s DOI websites aren’t particularly user-friendly.

Once you’ve finished your pre-licensing, you can go to the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website,, to see the fees for each state and also the requirements for resident and non-resident licenses.

In general, licensing can be difficult, because it’s not the same for each state.

Once you have your license, you need to make sure you have the proper insurance and training to sell certain products.

Life Insurance Training

In order to sell life insurance, you must take Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Training. Illinois agents can go to LIMRA to complete that. For other states, RegEd is a good option, and Foresters also offers a course.

You must also have Errors & Omissions (E&O) Coverage in order to sell life insurance. We don’t have any particular recommendations for where you get this – you probably get a lot of emails from different companies, and the choice is up to you.

Long-Term Care (LTC) Certifications

In order to sell Long-Term Care or Life with a Long-Term Care rider, you need your LTC Certification. We now recommend ClearCert for this, as it’s the only company John Hancock currently recognizes.

The LTC Certification requires that you take an 8-hour course the first time, and every 2 years, you take a 4-hour refresher course.

Annuity Suitability Course and Product Training

Annuity companies will generally have their own product-specific training that you’re required to take. Sometimes, that training can be done through the web portal, or you’ll just have a PDF that you read and sign.

In Illinois, there is also a required Annuity Suitability course. That can be completed through Dohrn at

And that’s it! If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comment section below.

Do you have a comment? Please share your thoughts below.

Newsletter Signup

Recent Posts

Selling the Lasso Healthcare MSA: Interview With Linda Sprague

Steve Spinner discusses the Lasso Healthcare MSA with agent Linda Sprague. Listen to their discussion about selling the Lasso Healthcare MSA, the...

Read more »

Recognizing Our Heroes This Veterans Day

The celebration or recognition of Veterans Day is something that we all take very seriously. I am the proud father of three great kids, and I have...

Read more »

Can a Veteran On VA Benefits Get the Lasso MSA?

The brand-new Lasso Medical Savings Account (MSA) is gaining a ton of traction, which means we're starting to get more in-depth questions about the...

Read more »

Is the Lasso MSA Better Than a High-Deductible Plan F?

By Steve Spinner and John Hockaday A question we’ve seen a lot from independent agents is this: how does the Lasso Medicare Medical Savings Account...

Read more »
More News »

Do you have a comment about this post? Share your thoughts below.